Monday, May 14, 2012

The Werewolf Upstairs - Review

The Werewolf Upstairs by Ashlyn Chase caught my attention during a recent trip to the library for a couple of reasons - 1: the cover art is fun, and 2:  I'm into the werewolf thing lately.  The cover art is lighthearted and romantic in theme with a glitter heart, attractive woman, and werewolf feet set in a library.  I expected a fun brain candy romance, and that is exactly what I got!  There is a bit of mystery to keep the plot moving, but the main attraction is the blush-inducing romance between Konrad and Roz.
The story revolves around Roz, a bored attorney moving into her best friend's apartment complex as a suprise.  We quickly meet the cranky landlady, many eccentric neighbors, and the oh-so-sexy Konrad.  Side note - the spelling of "Konrad" with a "K" continually threw me off throughout the novel.  Why with a "K"?  Back on track - Konrad and Roz are immediately attracted to each other and they move quickly from strangers to lovers.  Konrad wants a committed relationship but cannot reveal a very personal secret to Roz and it threatens the future of their relationship.  We get to see Konrad and Roz try to find new jobs by going on "dates" to classes about photography, cooking, sky diving, etc.  Roz and Konrad are also in the middle of an art theft investigation - seriously in the middle.  The investigation introduces more characters at the art museum and police department.   
I had to suspend my disbelief for most of the novel, but that's part of the fun with romance.  There was a bit too much going on in plot line and I was often pulled out of the fun romance of the novel and back into reality as I tried to remember various small-part characters and some history.  Chase adds several roadblocks to the Konrad/Roz relationship and some I don't believe could be that easily overcome.  The dates to classes seemed a bit like filler and I could have easily lived without them.  The art investigation was at first interesting, but then the conflict seemed more forced and became a bit tedious.  However, the love scenes between Konrad and Roz were NOT tedious.  They were well written - fun, sexy, and day dream worthy.  I was reading the novel in class while my college students finished up their essays and I admit to blushing a few times. 
Overall, the book is a fun, quick read.  At 342 pages (paperback), I was able to read it in 2 days without losing interest.  I recommend the novel for a fun summertime read.  I will be reading more of Chase's novels as I lounge by the pool this summer!
The Werewolf Upstairs

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cari!
    This is Mandy over at The Romance Bookie!

    I wanted to say Thank you !! for signing up for Meg-A Readers, and was wondering if you could please send me an email letting me of a few dates that would work for you, for you to do your post(s). We don't have toooo many dates open anymore, so it would be best to give me a few options :). I'm sure we'll be able to work something out.

    My email:
    romancebookie@yahoo.com

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...