Saturday, July 14, 2012

A little Non-Fiction

Joseph Conrad: Third World Perspectives










A few weeks ago, I went to dinner with my husband, one of our friends, and our friend's parents.  Since I had just returned from the AP Literature Exam reading, I was full of ideas about teaching in the fall and books I wanted to add to my curriculum.  Our friend's dad is an English professor and absolutely brilliant.  His name is Dr. Hamner.  I love talking to him and could sit and listen to him for hours.  He has traveled and taught all over the world and is just fascinating.  I told him I was thinking of teaching Heart of Darkness to my juniors.  Dr. Hamner published a book about Heart of Darkness!  Of course he did!  The book is Joseph Conrad:  Third World Perspectives published 1990 by Three Continents Press.  Dr. Hamner gave me a copy and I am overwhelmed by the brilliance in this book.  I can't wait to share it with my students.   If you teach, are a fan of Joseph Conrad, or need critical analysis for part of your research, this book is perfect for you.

Contents:The genius of Mr. Joseph Conrad / Hugh Clifford --
Conrad's Malaysia / Florence Clemens --
Jumble of facts and fiction : the first Singapore reaction to Almayer's folly / Hans van Marle --
Conrad's Malayan novels : problems of authenticity / D.C.R.A. Goonetilleke --
Conrad's Eastern expatriates : a new version of his outcasts / Lloyd Fernando --
Almayer and Willems : "how not to be" / Juliet McLauchlan --
Conrad's "An outpost of progress," or, The evil spirit of civilization / J.C. Hilson, D. Timms --
An image of Africa / Chinua Achebe --
Conrad's Nigger / Michael Echeruo --Racism and the classics : teaching Heart of darkness / Susan L. Blake --
Under African eyes / Ponnuthurai Sarvan --
The frontier on which Heart of darkness stands / Wilson Harris --
Conrad : the presentation of narrative / Edward W. Said --
Conrad's darkness / V.S. Naipaul --
The limits of the liberal imagination : One hundred years of solitude, and Nostromo / Jean Franco --
Out of darkness : Conrad and other third world writers / Peter Nazareth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...