Monday, August 6, 2012

I'm a Steampunk Fan!

I recently finished reading my first Steampunk novel - Meljean Brook's The Iron Duke.  I really enjoyed it!  The inclusion of all the neat devices and cool vehicles really added to the story and I want more!

From Goodreads:  After the Iron Duke freed England from Horde control, he instantly became a national hero. Now Rhys Trahaearn has built a merchant empire on the power-and fear-of his name. And when a dead body is dropped from an airship onto his doorstep, bringing Detective Inspector Mina Wentworth into his dangerous world, he intends to make her his next possession.

But when Mina uncovers the victim's identity, she stumbles upon a conspiracy that threatens the lives of everyone in England. To save them, Mina and Rhys must race across zombie-infested wastelands and treacherous oceans-and Mina discovers the danger is not only to her countrymen, as she finds herself tempted to give up everything to the Iron Duke.

The heroin, Mina, is believable, smart, and strong.  She is my favorite type of main character - one that I would actually want to be friends with!  She is by no means perfect, but she is willing to learn and adapt.  Brook mentions Mina's backstory of life under the Horde control.  I would like to know more about that and I may have (ok, I did) asked Brook to write more about Mina and Rhys.  Sadly, Brook does not have another book about Mina, but I would LOVE it if she did!  Mina can stand on her own, but she loves her family dearly and is strengthened by her family bonds.  She does not need a man, thankfully, but Rhys is just too delicious to pass up.

Rhys is a mixture of pirate, hero, rebel, and benefactor.  He does not want to be the "good guy," but it is in his blood to do what is right.  He can be infuriatingly controlling.  Mina tries to walk away several times, but all of Rhys' charm and intelligence keep her from leaving.  I liked Rhys the first time he appeared on the page.  

The setting and the plot are fascinating and kept me glued to the book until I finished it.  It's been a while since I've liked a book enough to read it in one sitting.  If you haven't read a Steampunk novel, I would highly suggest starting with Iron Duke.  If you have read Steampunk and you're a fan, you will LOVE Iron Duke.  I will be recommending it to all of my friends.  It won't change your life, but it will entertain you and make you a Meljean Brook fan.

Iron Duke:  5 out of 5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...